Culinary Immersion in Calabria
CULINARY IMMERSION IN CALABRIA
Join me, Rosetta Costantino, cookbook author of "My Calabria" and “Desserts of Southern Italy”, veteran cooking teacher and experienced guide, as we travel to my native Calabria. Learn how to cook the authentic Calabrian way, make friends and soak in the local magic.
This nine-day food and wine trip is specially designed to completely immerse you in Calabria’s culture, lifestyle and traditions, from the Ionian Sea to the Pollino mountains; amidst olive and clementine orchards, in a medieval town.
This trip is relaxing and you’ll have plenty of opportunities to unwind and rejuvenate. We’ll stay at just two locations in Calabria: the Casa Solares estate in Rossano, amidst their clementine and olive groves by the Ionian Sea and the Barbieri family-run hotel in the medieval town of Altomonte. During your stay, you’ll participate in five hands-on cooking lessons featuring local specialties, including the freshest local seafood and, of course, olive oil pressed at the estate, then savor your creations over lunch or dinner. You’ll taste the best wines from different areas of Calabria -- hand-picked to complement the dishes you’ll enjoy. The group is limited to 16 participants.
This 9-day culinary immersion features:
- Five hands-on cooking classes learning local specialties
- Daily excursions to fish market, produce market, cheese producer
- All meals, breakfast, lunches and dinners
- All lunches and dinners paired with top wines from Calabria
- One spa treatment
- Hike in the Pollino National Park
Stays at two locations:
1. Casa Solares (5 nights). A large country estate where one of Calabria’s oldest nobilities dating to the 12th century, the Mascaro family, still lives. You’ll be staying on the estate at a private residence that has been converted into a guest house, in an oasis of peace and tranquility surrounded by 24,000 clementine trees and 15,000 olive trees, right on the Ionian Sea, with access to its private beach, pool and spa. Rooms are furnished in a fresh Mediterranean style, with private baths and air conditioning.
2. Hotel Barbieri (3 nights). This family-run hotel with its own farm that grows all the food served at its restaurant, sits on a high ridge on the crescent of Altomonte in Calabria, across from the town's historic and famous castle. The four-star rooms are well appointed and the pool and spa on the premises offer plenty of relaxation. You’ll fall in love with the delicious food and amazing people in this medieval mountain town.
State of California Seller of Travel # 2125765-40
The price of the tour for 2020 is $4,795 USD per person based on double occupancy. A limited number of single rooms are available for a supplement of $600.
Tour is limited to 16 guests. Reservations are secured by deposit on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Airfare to and from Italy, including to and from Lamezia Terme International Airport in Calabria
- Travel insurance
- Shopping and personal expenses
- Drinks or other cocktails not included in the itinerary
- Tips for the bus driver (it is customary to tip the bus driver after the tour if you have been happy with the service)
- All other expenses incurred during free time
- 9 days, 8 nights in a double-occupancy room
- All meals throughout the tour, including top Calabrian wines at each meal.
- Five hands-on cooking classes with local chefs and Italian mammas.
- Tour of the medieval town of Altomonte.
- Tour of Rossano Calabro with private guide.
- Tour of Corigliano castle with private guide.
- Tour of the Amarelli liquorice factory.
- Visits to top producers of wine, cheese and fish auction.
- Souvenir apron and recipes.
- One spa treatment (massage or Turkish bath)
- Farewell dinner party
- Private bus to and from the La Mezia Airport and to all destinations during the trip
“This trip was an emotional journey back to "Il paese del mio padre." The sights, smells, tastes all brought back the memories of my Calabrese family: those passed and those yet in Bisignano. Rosetta, Lino and Fernando were superb organizers and congenial hosts. They would be welcome in my home at any time. The bus driver, Paolo, was an artist also. This is a trip NOT TO BE MISSED!” Laurance J. Guido, MD, FACS
"Imagine yourself surrounded by beauty for eight days, with exquisite food, lovely people, extraordinary hosts, and grand accommodations, and you might be able to conjure up the Calabria Tour with Rosetta. She is an amazing and gracious host, and I learned so much about this gorgeous area. The history of Calabria is remarkable, the people are welcoming, and the food is sublime. Many thanks!" Maureen, Oakland, California