Calabria Culinary Vacation
September 15 - September 23, 2020
Join me, Rosetta Costantino, cookbook author, cooking teacher and experienced guide, as we travel off the beaten path to the toe of Italy’s boot…to my native Calabria. We’ll journey from the majestic Pollino mountains in the north, through the Terre di Cosenza and Lamezia wine regions, to the dazzling west coast, Tropea, and Reggio Calabria in the south at the tip of Italy’s toe, savoring the best local foods and wines, and Southern Italian art, history and culture along the way.
We’ll indulge in scrumptious dinners paired with award-winning wines of the region, rustic family meals and memorable feasts at restaurants and eateries where locals go – rather than at tourist spots. We'll also dine at a celebrated Michelin-starred gem, a wine-aging cave and in a vineyard at a stunning table set just for our group. You’ll learn how to cook some of these local specialties at two hands-on cooking classes, so you can share a taste of Calabria with friends and family back home. During off hours, we'll luxuriate at our accommodations at a beautiful private estate in Cirò, a castle set amidst olive groves and vineyards in Altamonte, and a five-star resort near Tropea with its own private beach on the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Discover Calabria through its wines, food, art and scenery…and prepare to fall in love!
The group is limited to 16 participants.
This 9-day trip features:
- Guided tours to some of Calabria's most charming towns
- Excursions to top wine producers, cheese, salumi
- Two hands-on cooking classes learning local specialties
- All meals, including dinners at some the region’s best restaurants
Stays at three locations:
1. Borgo Saverona. The origins of Borgo Saverona date back to the seventeenth century and its one-of-a-kind charm has remained constant for centuries. Now the small village close to Cirò Marina, previously abandoned, has come back to life in a different form. A small country hotel offering 12 guest rooms, a beautiful swimming pool and all comforts surrounded by olive groves and vineyards. Rooms are furnished in a fresh Mediterranean style, with private baths and air conditioning.
2. Castello Serragiumenta. The Serragiumenta castle stands at the center of the estate surrounded by vineyards and olive groves, in the heart of the Calabrian countryside. The beautiful boutique hotel offers 11 rooms, each unique and furnished with period furniture, a pool terrace and sprawling gardens. You can discover the property by horse via their equestrian center or following the various walking paths or just relax sipping a glass of wine.
3. Hotel Porto Pirgos. Near Tropea, a seaside town, this five-star resort is nestled in a grove of eucalyptus and olive trees. Originally a residence for a noble family, it has been converted into an 18-room luxury hotel directly on the sea, with its own private beach. A stay of enchanting rest and relaxation will round out the trip.
State of California Seller of Travel # 2125765-40