Culinary Immersion in Calabria
9-DAY CULINARY IMMERSION IN CALABRIA -- OVERVIEW
May 20 - May 28, 2017
Join me, Rosetta Costantino, cookbook author of "My Calabria" and “Desserts of Southern Italy”, veteran cooking teacher and experienced guide, as we travel to my native Calabria. Learn how to cook the authentic Calabrian way, make friends and soak in the local magic.
This nine-day food and wine trip is specially designed to completely immerse you in Calabria’s culture, lifestyle and traditions, from the Ionian Sea to the Pollino mountains; amidst olive and clementine orchards, in a medieval town.
This trip is relaxing and you’ll have plenty of opportunities to unwind and rejuvenate. We’ll stay at just two locations in Calabria: the Casa Solares estate in Rossano, amidst their clementine and olive groves by the Ionian Sea and the Barbieri family-run hotel in the medieval town of Altomonte. During your stay, you’ll participate in five hands-on cooking lessons featuring local specialties, including the freshest local seafood and, of course, olive oil pressed at the estate, then savor your creations over lunch or dinner. You’ll taste the best wines from different areas of Calabria -- hand-picked to complement the dishes you’ll enjoy. The group is limited to 16 participants.
This 9-day cooking immersion features:
- Five hands-on cooking classes learning local specialties
- Daily excursions to fish market, produce market, cheese producer
- All meals, breakfast, lunches and dinners
- All lunches and dinners paired with top wines from Calabria
- One Spa treatment
- Hike in the Pollino National Park
Stays at two locations:
1. Casa Solares (5 nights). A large country estate where one of Calabria’s oldest nobilities dating to the 12th century, the Mascaro family, still lives. You’ll be staying on the estate at a private residence that has been converted into a guest house, in an oasis of peace and tranquility surrounded by 24,000 clementine trees and 15,000 olive trees, right on the Ionian Sea, with access to its private beach, pool and spa. Rooms are furnished in a fresh Mediterranean style, with private baths, TV, and air conditioning.
2. Hotel Barbieri (3 nights). This family-run hotel with its own farm that grows all the food served at its restaurant, sits on a high ridge on the crescent of Altomonte in Calabria, across from the town's historic and famous castle. The four-star rooms are well appointed and the pool and spa on the premises offer plenty of relaxation. You’ll fall in love with the delicious food and amazing people in this medieval mountain town.